Tyne Gangway was established in 1934 when most of the world’s marine access equipment was manufactured from selected hardwood and built by skilled carpenters.
In the 1950s Aluminium gangways were introduced to the market; the construction was aluminium angle and plate with rivetted connections.
In the 1960s Tyne Gangway were pioneers in the introduction of lightweight aluminium alloys for manufacturing their gangways. Their reputation grew and at one point they were the largest supplier of gangways in the world. Boasting in 1965 that they had supplied gangways and accommodation ladders to 78% of the ships completed in the UK.
In 1978 British Standards were introduced for the manufacturing and supply of aluminium gangways.
In the mid 1960’s the company introduced welding. Today Tyne Gangway weld in their DNV-GL weld shop using the latest synergic pulse machines which offer superior quality and high performance.
In 2016 Tyne Gangway received Type Approval for their Shala and Sala range of gangways.
Tyne Gangway is owned by The Benbecula Group. The group is recognised by service quality and measured by on-time delivery which fits perfectly with the ethos of Tyne Gangway.